Welcome to ‘Certificate I in Leadership for Social Change’!
In this course, we aim to develop your leadership knowledge to become an effective leader in any organisation. WE will teach you critical concepts to help you better understand, operate, and thrive in leadership roles. We will challenge you to apply learning using a realistic simulation, based on real-world leadership experiences. We aim to develop your leadership knowledge to become an effective leader in order to foster social change through leadership development. Using interactive activities including reflexive journals, you will develop your own understandings of what constitutes good leadership and how to apply this knowledge in real life situations.
At the end of this course, students will be able to:
- Prepare for and assume a leadership role.
- Determine an organisation’s current situation and develop a vision for its future.
- Develop a strategy, a team, and a culture for success.
- Sustain their organisation for the challenges ahead.
- Identify their own leadership strengths and areas for improvement in their leadership practice.
Module 1: Preparing to Lead
Module 1 focuses on how to prepare to take on a leadership role in the organisation. We will explore leader self-awareness, understanding the expectations of your new role, balancing misconceptions and developing a leadership philosophy.
Module 2: Assuming the Mantle
This module aims to prepare you for assuming your leadership position and the first 90 days of leadership in your new organisation.
Module 3: Articulating Vision
Module 3 examines key considerations to determine, develop and articulate a vision for an organisation. You will have an opportunity to develop a vision statement for your organisation.
Module 4: Making Decisions
Module 4 considers decision making theories such as rational, behavioural, and group decision making. You will have an opportunity to reflect on your own decision-making processes and develop and apply concepts of decision making.
Module 5: Developing Strategy
Module 5 focuses on theories of strategy and strategic planning as well as key considerations for determining, developing and articulating a strategy to lead your organisation. You will have an opportunity to develop a strategy for your organisation.
Module 6: Managing Change
Module 6 examines change management in complex organisational situations. We will explore challenges that arise when an organisation implements a new strategy and ‘change management’ versus ‘change leadership’.
- Reading materials
- [Video] Change Management versus Change Leadership: What’s the Difference?
- [Video] 5 ways to lead in an era of constant change
- [Video] WYFFT: Would You Fall For That – Elevator
- [Video] Two Monkeys Were Paid Unequally: Excerpt from Frans de Waal’s TED Talk
- [Video] Culture Fundamentals from Edgar Schein
- [Video] Edgar Schein on Corporate Culture
- [Video] Steven Spear – Operational Excellence and Innovation Expert
- [Video] Steve Spear – Creating High Velocity Organizations
Module 7: Building Teams
Module 7 considers strategic human resource considerations to help build your organisation. We will explore the responsibilities of a leader in building a capable, functioning team, factors that contribute to high-performance teams and how you can build your organisation’s team.
Module 8: Sustaining the Organisation
Module 8 explores sustaining an organisation for the challenges ahead, including fostering shared understanding, leadership development and training, and succession planning.